With summer winding down, and fall ramping up (busy schedules, chillier temperatures and fewer hours in the day to get stuff done), healthy eating can sometimes slide to the wayside, as convenience takes over. If your pizza delivery man is on your iPhone speed dial, listen up! Telling yourself you’re too busy to think about dinner until you are well into the late afternoon is no way to enter a new season. Your best bet for healthy food made easy this time of year is a slow cooker. Five minutes of prep work simply adding raw ingredients into this amazing appliance means complete, hot meals, soup and overnight breakfasts ready when you are. Slow cookers help deliver healthy meals with a lot of flavor, and you barely have to spend any time in the kitchen.
Makes about 6 servings.
This is the ultimate summer-to-fall soup and tastes best when you use fresh, organic corn, shucked right from the cob. Serve hot or cold, garnished with basil, cilantro or parsley. Add shredded chicken, shrimp or grilled salmon or halibut pieces for a complete meal.
- 6 ears organic corn, shucked and kernels sliced off the cob
- 1 pint baby tomatoes, whole (about 1 cup)
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth or water
- ½ teaspoon cayenne, Hungarian paprika or chili powder
- Sea salt + pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients — except coconut milk — to the slow cooker and cook on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-10 hours.
- Right before you are ready to serve, mix in the coconut milk. Adjust seasonings as necessary before serving.
White Bean Chicken Chili Verde
Makes about 6 servings.
Your house will smell so good and comforting when you get home!
- 2 medium organic chicken breasts, thinly cut into strips
- 1 medium jar green salsa (also known as salsa verde, or tomatillo sauce)
- 1 can green chilis
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, (seeds removed), chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped or crushed
- 3 cups dried and pre-soaked white northern beans or three cans white northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 carton organic chicken broth, vegetable broth or 2 cups water
- Place all ingredients in slow cooker, starting with the chicken on the bottom.
- Cover with enough broth or water so that all the ingredients are covered.
- Cook on high for 4-6 hours, or low for 8-10 hours. Serve over brown or wild rice, quinoa or in corn tortillas.