The 2013 Seattle Modern Home Tour is this Saturday, Sept. 7. Eight homes will be on the tour including two on the Eastside – a mid-century classic in the Lake Sammamish area, completely redesigned in 2011 by Schemata Workshop Inc., with an amazing use of glass that provides plenty of natural light and stunning views. And the Reed Home, an iconic home in the Hilltop Community with views of Lake Washington and downtown Bellevue. It was originally built in 1957 by Wendell Lovett and recently updated and redesigned by Schemata Workshop Inc.
Other homes on the tour include:
- A residence by Coates Design Architects, on western Bainbridge Island with a unique concrete “box” exterior, and a stunningly open interior
- A second Coates Design Architects home on the eastern Bainbridge Island that is LEED Platinum certified that serves as a model and educational tool for future sustainable residential projects.
- A spacious unit in the Lake Union Loft condos, built in 2008 but renovated in 2010 by Goodspeed Architecture, highlighted by incredible use of natural materials.
- A third home by Coates Design Architects, located east of Green Lake that is just as impressive in size (4000 sq. ft.) as it is in modern design.
- A house re-designed by David Coleman and located in the Magnolia neighborhood, that stands as a shining example of repurposing older homes to reflect modern lifestyles in ways that are sensitive to but not constrained by traditional forms.
- The Atrium house, a 1950 home located in Queen Ann Hill and recently re-designed by Castanes Architects,that reveals stunning views of the Cascades through floor-to-ceiling glass windows, features a unique glass fireplace, and boasts a beautiful atrium at the center of its top-floor design.
The Seattle Modern Home Tour is a self-guided driving-tour of eight architecturally progressive and contemporary homes in the Seattle area that exemplify modern living. Thanks to a handful of generous homeowners, tour-goers get the chance to explore the inside and out of these awe-inspiring modern homes, designed by some of Seattle’s greatest modern architects. The Seattle Architecture Foundation is the local non-profit partner of this tour.
Participating homes will open their doors to from 11AM – 5PM. Click here for tickets.