It’s getting warmer. You want your kiddos to eat more veggies. You’re dreaming of a tropical getaway complete with drinks with those tiny umbrellas. Start with this basic smoothie recipe and then customize to your heart’s content. Throw in kale. Hide the spinach. Blend in a rainbow of fruits and veggies, sip vitamins and minerals, and savor the deliciousness. You just need three main ingredients: a ripe banana, Greek yogurt, and apple juice. This is the canvas to your Picasso in the smoothie world!
- 2 ripe bananas (the ones with brown spots are sweeter)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (honey, vanilla, or plain)
- ½ cup apple juice, or sparkling apple juice
TIP: Feel free to add more or less juice to get the consistency you prefer.
Fizzy Pineapple Peach Smoothie
- Base (sparkling apple) + 1 cup chopped pineapple
- 1 cup chopped frozen or fresh peaches
Super Spinach Berry Smoothie
- Base + 2 cups tender fresh spinach
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- 1 cup fresh raspberries
Creamy Chocolate Almond Butter Smoothie
- Base + 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 1 extra banana
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder; blend until smooth
Other mix-in ideas
- Make smoothies creamier by replacing apple juice with almond, coconut, or cow’s milk.
- Blend spinach, kale, and other greens with a bit of water and make a bunch of green ice cubes. You’ll always have greens ready to go for smoothies and other recipes.
- Flax, chia seeds, or blended dry oatmeal can add bulk and substance to your smoothie and make it more filling.
- Peel and slice ripe bananas and flash freeze on a cookie sheet for extra-cold, creamy smoothies.