Hello, summer! After a gloomy start to the season, the sun is finally paying us Washingtonians a visit. Now, we’re getting outside in every spare moment possible to soak up that long-awaited Vitamin D.
It’s easy to forget skincare essentials in all the hustle and bustle of our summer activities, but it’s definitely important to take extra special care of your skin during these sunny days. With so many products out there, though, things can get overwhelming quickly; it can be difficult to identify what’s a must and what’s not.
To help sort through the confusion, estheticians at Elaia Spa in Seattle have shared their summertime skincare secrets — the products and services they recommend to keep skin healthy, clear, and glowing all summer long.
- Give your skin a break! A lot of us exfoliate aggressively and go for deep peels to try to keep our skin healthy and fresh. Especially in the summer, when skin is more exposed and sensitive, go for gentle rice powder-based products like the Stone Crop Oxygenating Fizzofoliant.
- Treat yourself to a professional facial. If you have the time to head over to Elaia for a few hours of bliss and rejuvenation, we highly recommend their Oxygen Glow Facial, which calms and hydrates the skin during a 75-minute long treatment customized to your skin’s needs. Esthetician Shanda Harmon works wonders on all skin types — even sensitive and acne-prone skin — with the Luzern skincare line, which features clean, organic, pharmaceutical-grade ingredients that make for immediate results. The treatment is not only effective — you’ll leave glowing and watch breakouts essentially disappear overnight — but it’s also relaxing: While one product does its work, Harmon will give you the best hand massage you’ve ever had. At the end of the appointment, she’ll recommended cleansers that will keep your skin clear and happy.
- Don’t skimp on the SPF. Your skin will forever thank you if you protect and moisturize it daily with a quality sunscreen. Experts at Elaia recommend the Tropical Vanilla Day Cream SPF 32 and the Lilikoi Mineral Defense Moisturizer SPF 33 because of their lightweight and hydrating qualities.
- Remember your kisser! SPF isn’t just for your face and body: your lips need protection from the sun, too. Overexposure to the sun’s rays can destroy collagen in the lips, making them thinner, dehydrated, and at risk for skin cancer. Protect, soften, and hydrate with Rosehip & Lemongrass Lip Balm SPF 15.
- Give your skin a refresher. The Stone Crop Hydrating Mist helps restore balance and pH levels, which will leave sun-kissed skin nourished, toned, neutralized, and refreshed.