Whether you’re celebrating with your partner or with a group of friends, a simple brunch with glowing DIY decor details will give your Valentine’s Day some serious heart.
Sparkling Raspberry Mojito and Citrusy Heart Topper
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
Several torn sprigs fresh mint
1/2 shot freshly squeezed
1 shot vodka
1/2 shot of Chambord
6 fresh raspberries
To make the simple syrup, simmer sugar, water, and mint until the sugar dissolves. Cool, remove mint stems, and refrigerate. To make the cocktail, combine a shot of the simple syrup with the rest of the ingredients and muddle in a cocktail shaker. Pour into a glass filled with ice and top with a splash or two of champagne. Garnish with a fresh raspberry, an orange peel — formed into hearts — and a sprig of fresh mint.
Queen of Hearts
Get the look by layering pretty floral wrapping paper and gold sequins fabric, adding stems of sweet hyacinth for a pretty pop of spring. Create a quick asymmetrical heart wreath with a craft store willow form and an assortment of fresh greenery and blossoms. Use the willow form to tuck and hold the greens and blooms in place.
Create these super cool DIY LED ‘neon’ like signs on craft store canvas with Electroluminescent EL wire! The EL wire rope is flexible and comes with a battery-operated controller.
Here’s the How-To:
- With a pencil, lightly freehand or trace your design onto the front of the canvas.
- With a wooden skewer, pierce the canvas anywhere along your traced design.
- Starting from the back of the canvas, thread the EL rope through the small hole to the front of the canvas.
- Pull as much rope length as you need for your design to the front side of the canvas.
- Tape down any extra rope, along with the controller, to the backside of the canvas.
- Use ZOTS, a clear double-sided, high-tack tape, to temporarily hold the wire in place as you work with the EL rope to create your design.
- Next, use craft store wire to actually secure the design in place.
- At various intervals along the design, pierce the canvas on both sides of the taped down wire and then, working from front to back of the canvas, thread a small piece of wire through the two holes, twisting and securing the wire on the back side of the canvas.
- Repeat this step as many times as needed to secure your design to the canvas.
- Remove ZOTS. The neon signs look cool by day and really pop at night!
Sweet Mini Waffles with Roasted Strawberry
and Grand Marnier Topping
Whip up your favorite waffle batter and use a heart waffle maker to create cute heart stacks. I start with the basic Bisquick waffle recipe and then add a splash of good vanilla and a few tablespoons of vanilla bean sugar. I like to separate the egg yolks and egg whites. I stir the yolks into the batter and then, using an electric beater or a whisk and copper bowl, beat the egg whites until light and fluffy and fold them into the batter. Drizzle waffles with good maple syrup and then spoon on the topping.
Tip: Add some spark with mini heart sparklers from your local market or party store.
Roasted Strawberry and Grand Marnier Topping:
1 pound of strawberries, sliced
1/4 cup of Grand Marnier
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons of honey
1 tablespoon of vanilla
Zest of half an orange
Toss all ingredients in an ovenproof pan and roast at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes. This quick and tasty topping is delicious on everything from pancakes to ice cream!
Avocado Heart Toast
Use a cookie cutter to create a heart shape in your favorite toasted bread. Mash up two avocados with the juice of half a small lemon, a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper. Slather mixture on to the toast and garnish with torn fresh herbs and lemon zest.
Baked Brie with Toasted Almonds
In a single layer, oven toast whole almonds on a cookie sheet at 350 degrees for 3-4 minutes. Cool and chop. Pop a round of Brie into an ovenproof container and bake at 350 degrees for 7 to 10 minutes until it begins to ooze but not melt. Drizzle on honey and sprinkle toasted almonds and fresh herbs such as sage, rosemary, and thyme.
Create mini candy cones by folding decorative paper into cones and using double sided tape to secure. Add ribbon trim. Fill with Sugarfina (now open at The Bellevue Collection) champagne gummy bears!
Credits: Hair by Seven the Salon, Senior Stylist Chu. Light rope from Amazon. Canvas from Michaels. Sequins fabric from Ben Franklin Crafts and Frames. Heart waffle maker from Crate and Barrel at The Bellevue Collection. Champagne gummies from Sugarfina at The Bellevue Collection. Ingredients and sparklers from Metropolitan Market in Kirkland. Vintage glassware from Oscar & Co. in Kirkland.